Thursday, February 26, 2009

in transit

After the final four days with virtually no sleep, I was forced to say my goodbyes to Quebec City. The details were a blur, but I know that many friends (and new family) were bid farewell (for now), many festivities were shared, and a few tears were let go in the process.









It had been awhile since I was face-to-face with a town like Davenport. I'd just arrived in the midwest Thursday, was awake here for all of two hours, when I said to myself, "Fuck this noise. I'm going to Chicago." So the weekend was spent with more friends, until I had to face my responsibilities and return to Iowa. It really hasn't been all bad. There are friends here also, more goodbyes to bid soon, as well as the closing ceremonies to what has been a three-year blur. I graduate in just 14 hours, after which I'll have a "Doctor" before my name. Crazy. Yesterday I hugged my mom for the first time in over a year. And this weekend, I make the two-day drive back to Texas, where I have not been since early 2008. My car hasn't seen the state since 2005, as evidenced by my long-expired inspection sticker which I *hope* no state troopers will give me shit for until I can update.

Everyone around me is in the "so what are your plans?" mode. I am, too. It's interesting to find out what my fellow graduates are up to next, where they'll practice, how far our class is spreading. And even though I only have it figured out through June, I am perfectly alright with that. And I consider that no small feat. Just a year ago, not knowing what I was going to do two months down the road drove me crazy with worry. I am now embracing the process. It can be incredibly fun to not have any effing clue where you'll end up. And in the meantime, while I'm figuring it out, I consider myself overwhelmingly lucky to have had the experiences I've had.

So goes the week of closure to one era of my life. Here's to three (bland, albeit worthwhile) years in Iowa, three (amazing, incredible) months in Quebec, and the rest of my life in who-the-hell-knows-where. (Which way's the wind?)


No comments: