Saturday, January 17, 2009

winter in motion

I've been trying to make more of an effort to use the video camera while I'm here. Today I dug up some snippets I've caught in the last couple of months. The first one is a minute of our morning commute to work. There was just enough super fluffy snow on the ground, and just enough wind to make these entrancing little swirls along the surface of the road. I'd been staring at this snaking snow dust, hypnotized, for a good half hour before getting the idea to try and record it. The effect was slightly eerie, like dancing graveyard fog, but also incredibly pretty. (Midlake is playing in the background, incase you were interested.)



The next was taken after a couple of days of freezing rain, when all of these handrails were completely coated in a thick layer of ice. It was the most satisfying thing in the world to twist off the curved sheets and watch them crash to the ground. Earlier in the day, I'd walked down this one path alone, where there was about 40 feet of railing. I was strolling slowly along, close to the metal rail, twisting all of this ice off of it, a foot (or sometimes two! so gratifying!) at a time, totally mesmerized, as a couple of people passed. I'm pretty sure they thought I was retarded, but I could not take my eyes or hands off of the ice. Sure, I lived in Iowa for 3 years, but I think growing up without ice and snow has made me forever amazed with it. Winters like these will never lose their novelty to a kid from Texas.


No comments: