Saturday, May 2, 2009

beside myself

After a two-week visit with a wonderful friend from a far away land, scoring a job in Seattle and discovering I'll be moving there in as little as six weeks, and contemplating my more figured-out but still somewhat uncertain future existence, I am beat and feel like I could sleep for days. I certainly intended to (continue to) drink all this wine that's somehow found its way into my kitchen, but one day off wasn't enough to recover, even if it did feature a blockbuster comic book movie and comforting discussions about life with a friend.

On the upside, I am not dead or maimed after my very-near-wreck on this morning's commute. It'd been raining all weekend, was pouring earlier, and as I was entering the highway ramp doing about 60, a silver car jetted in front of me at 90 degrees, crossing four (miraculously clear) lanes at I'm guessing around 60 as well - presumably hydroplaning - causing me to skid and nearly lose control of my own car. He ended up halfway off the road, facing almost 180, and I'd stopped on the shoulder, safe but shaken. If I had left my apartment a second earlier, or didn't have to endure being stuck behind that one slow-mo a minute before, or there wasn't a long line at the light, or etc, etc, etc... Mr. Silver Slider would have rammed right into my door and who knows what then. Funny how even insignificant events can make or literally break you or your day.

So thanks, Mr. Silver, for being a peculiar piece of silver lining on such a crap day. I'm glad we didn't die.

1 comment:

MicheleChiroveau said...

I'm very glad you didn't die either!