Monday, March 29, 2010

weighting is the hard part

I've always found it interesting and appropriate that the idea of "weight" is often used metaphorically with an emotional connotation. There's a heaviness that comes with intense feelings and profound events. We use words like "carefree" and "lighthearted" to convey joy, or an absence of emotional turmoil. "Baggage" and "burden" are commonly used to communicate emotional status. It's pervasive in the English language, and I love it. (There could be a whole other discussion on why this is, such as material worries contrasting spiritual enlightenment. I'll save that for another time.)
Some of my favorite examples follow.

- An overall theme in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, being weighed down with emotional burdens vs transcending all things tangible.

- The oft-used "heavy boots" and "light boots" by Oskar Schell's character in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close to convey depressed moods or optimistic ones.

- The idea that you can share some weight and make someone else's experience a little lighter, as in, "Take a load off Annie, And you put the load right on me" (The Band, The Weight).

- Also, weight as a purpose. "All I need's a little time, to get behind the sun and cast my weight" (Air, All I Need), and, "Take a drink just to give me some weight..." (The Shins, A Comet Appears).

- Then finally, my favorite poem, Song, by Allen Ginsberg. Every time I read it, even if years go by in between revisits, its beauty and truth are reasserted to me. "The weight of the world is love." So true. (And so beautiful.)

This Monday, I'm feeling a bit heavy for one reason or another. Maybe it's due to the hailing, rainy, gray, exhausting start to the week, when such an incredibly satisfying and enlightening one preceded it.
I'm realizing it's the hardest lesson to learn, to let go of the things you have no control over... reliquishing your grip on a false sense of power over the course of events, and releasing the emotional weight that comes along with such a feat. I'd like to think I'm getting better at it. At least, I hope I am.

No comments: